SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#157034 - 03/03/04 02:29 AM Re: planned sets or "winging it"?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
We use set lists. We have 7 guys in our band and it get's tricky calling out ad-hoc songs between songs. We provided NON-STOP music so the transition from one song to the next is very important when people are on the dance floor.

We change the set's and do requests during and at the start of the next set. We've been doing this a long time and our set's are setup for the peak dancing sets.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#157035 - 03/04/04 12:49 AM Re: planned sets or "winging it"?
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
There's only the two of us so we 'wing it'. We sometimes wonder about set lists but they normally last about half a song!

I would agree that we tend to use little subsets of 2/3 songs that we tend to play in sequence, but this is adjustable as determined by audience (non!)-reaction.

#157036 - 03/04/04 05:43 AM Re: planned sets or "winging it"?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I plan every job and put together a specific MFD file for that audience. The list, however, is only a basic guideline, and like most folks here, I stray from the list to satisfy the audience. If a certain era's of music fills the dance floor, I'll pretty much stick with it through most of the gig. Later, I'll put together a specific MFD for that audience--it just makes life a bit easier the next time you play for them. You must be flexible and respond to the audience at all times--they're paying the bill.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#157037 - 03/04/04 06:53 AM Re: planned sets or "winging it"?
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
Wing it....... at first to find out what they want then go into a number of pre-determined mini sets based on audience reaction.

Keeping them on the floor is the name of my game as I'm sure it is for many of us and I positively invite requests by talking to the audience in the break and sometimes before the gig if I get chance ... as has been said already.....They are paying.........

KF

#157038 - 03/04/04 08:11 AM Re: planned sets or "winging it"?
cam8neel Offline

Loc: Providence, RI USA
31 years of winging it...not easy, because I've winged it whether solo or with a band. Spontaneity is a beautiful (but sometimes painful) thing!

Angelo

#157039 - 03/04/04 11:23 AM Re: planned sets or "winging it"?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by cam8neel:
31 years of winging it...not easy, because I've winged it whether solo or with a band. Spontaneity is a beautiful (but sometimes painful) thing!
Angelo

.. yeah .... we even 'winged it' with the band in NY ...
Ang .... 31 years?!?!? ... you been gigging since you were 2yrs.???
t.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online